688 total views, 1 views today
Homemade red sauce pasta can be a healthy and nutritious evening snack recipes for kids . In this pasta recipe I have added red bell peppers along with fresh tomatoes, to add some extra nutrition and flavor to a classic dish. Making my own red sauce also allowed me to control the quality of ingredients and the amount of added sugar and sodium in the dish. Store-bought pasta sauces often contain added sugars and preservatives, which can be avoided by making your own sauce at home.
It’s a great way to involve kids in the cooking process and introduce them to new flavors and textures.
Health benefits of Homemade red sauce pasta
Here are some potential health benefits:
- Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and lycopene, which is an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of certain cancers and protect against heart disease.
- Garlic has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help improve immune function and lower the risk of certain chronic diseases.
- Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids, which have been shown to lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Whole grain pasta is a good source of fiber, which can help regulate digestion, lower cholesterol levels, and promote feelings of fullness.
- Bell peppers are a great source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and antioxidants. By using them in your red sauce, you’re adding extra nutrients and making the dish more wholesome.
It’s worth noting that pasta dishes can also be high in calories and carbohydrates, so it’s important to watch your portion sizes and balance your meal with plenty of vegetables and lean protein.
Recipe for homemade red sauce pasta:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Here’s a simple recipe for homemade red sauce pasta:
- 2 Cup pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until it’s al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, sauté the diced onion and minced garlic in olive oil until softened and fragrant.
- Add the diced red bell peppers to the pan and continue to sauté for a few more minutes until the peppers are slightly softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan, along with the dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens slightly.
- Season the sauce with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss it with the sauce until it’s evenly coated.
- Serve the pasta hot, garnished with chopped fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Enjoy your homemade red sauce pasta!
This post is a part of Blogchatter A2Z challenge 2023