1,830 total views, 1 views today
Homeschooling is not a new concept, instead, it has been practiced by Britishers since 1940. And did you know that the first Indian female teacher, Savitribai Phule, was home educated? From selecting a curriculum and choosing what is best for the kid, it takes a lot of effort. There are several reasons why parents still prefer homeschooling and the major of all is helping the child to follow its own interest.
Before moving ahead, let’s understand What exactly is homeschooling?
Homeschooling is a trend/route that’s less traveled by people due to many reasons!
Homeschooling is not just “Doing school at home”, infact, it’s more than that. It’s also not an easy option, because you have to take care of your little one, both as a teacher and as a parent. Everyday you must think about teaching a subject in a way that’s out of box, and extremely easier to understand.
The imposition of lockdown has made everyone realise why it’s essential to go for Homeschooling. And as childrens are natural learners, we as a parent, have to accept the fact that learning can be done anywhere and at any time. While homeschooling it’s important to build a growing environment at home, and this article covers the same, to help you the best!
Are you planning to Homeschool your children’s? Here’s what you must know!
- As a parent, you have to give your kid personal attention and constant monitoring. Plan your day beforehand and execute the scheduled work accordingly. Keep a track of everything you teach and the breaks as well!
- There will be a time, when you might be busy with your own work, but don’t let all of it affect your kid’s studies. Appoint a home tutor for a while, but before that, look after their teaching skills, communication skills, and core knowledge of subjects.
- You can’t keep your kid every time at a place, they should learn to socialize. It’s essential for them to be with kids of their age. This is necessary for personal development and building a bond.
- During homeschooling, you will have to look after different ways to teach your kid. You should not keep them wholly dependent on you, instead you must make them independent during the process.
- Homeschooling can get boring at times, for both the parent and the kid. Hence, move away from the four walls, and take lessons in open spaces. Give your kid the exposure they will need in their life.
- Take regular counseling sessions to understand what your kid needs the most, and whether they are understanding your teaching process. If you spot any downpart, then work on it before it gets too late!
- Last but never least, don’t forget to prepare your child for the world they will live in the future. Educate them the right thought differences, culture, society, and the harsh realities.
Interesting benefits of Homeschooling –
As mentioned previously, there are several benefits of homeschooling, but I would like to highlight the major one, like –
Flexibility in studies –
Traditional schooling often restricts a kid in several ways. Whereas, in the case of homeschooling, a child can learn anything and everything without being restricted. They will get more active, strong-willed, challenging, and most importantly creative.
Efficient and meaningful learning –
It’s important for a child to get the right kind of attention through its tutor, but somewhere traditional schooling lacks this part. When there’s a low student-teacher ratio, the chances of time getting wasted is very less. There’s just quality studies happening around with less testing manias.
Focus on Mental health –
The most integral part of a kid’s education is its mental health. Often a child struggles a lot with the competition around, and all of it leads to depression, social anxiety, and other severe mental conditions. Whereas, homeschooling provides an opportunity for the parent to focus on emotional and mental well-being. Right mental care enables academic growth, hence it’s very important!
Personal growth –
Children’s autonomy plays an essential role in the learning process, and homeschooling cultivates it effectively. A Homeschooled kid gets a chance to make choices about how and what they want to learn. They will run after their interest, creativity, and passion instead of grades.
I took feedback from two moms who are currently homeschooling their kids
Urvashi , Damuru Creations says:
“I love homeschooling and biggest success are colors, messy play with sand, water, jelly beads, play dough and crafts. Apart from these I have used iPad to keep my kid engaged in learning. Our morning routine of prayer and night routine of poems and songs are great way to revise“
Nidhi says “I personally feel that when separated from mum or family at young age babies loose their confidence&they loose the ability to express themselves to strangers. I feel in homeschooling we can Analyse our child interest n abilities and plan things accordingly so learning becomes fun. •
As Learning is less about a person’s age, classroom, competition and more to do with the person’s improvement itself, I believe homeschooling is the best option. This type of schooling does not just allow a learner to learn the same topic in different settings and manners. Moreover, the main purpose over here is to raise diverse interests and skills by a combination of parents’ efforts and tailored curriculum. Well, I believe a few years later, Homeschooling will be the thing everyone would opt for!